15 Months


Q: do you remember where Smooch was at at the beginning of 15 mos. with sleep/naps?

A: Beginning of 15 months for Smooch would have been early January... she is apparently quite an anomaly, because she is STILL (!) taking 2 naps and sleeping 11-13 hours at night. Her routine hasn't changed much from then-- 
She is up usually around 7am, and goes back down for a morning nap between 9 & 9:30, sleeps for 1.5- 2+ hours (depending on what's going on), then is up and BUSY until anywhere from 1:30-3 (more variance for when she's ready for her afternoon nap). If she goes down earlier, it is usually a longer nap, like 2 hours. If its later, its usually more like 45 min- 1 hour. If, for some reason, I can't get her down for a nap before 4, she usually won't go down, and then is pretty much miserable for the rest of the evening, hardly eats dinner, and ends up in bed earlier than normal, because I'm tired of her crabbiness, and she can barely keep her eyes open.  Normal nights she is in bed between 7 and 7:30 pm.

But I've been told by I-can't-tell-you how many people that this is highly unusual, that usually by 12-14 months, their kids were down to one 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon (and also that they are sleeping 9-11 hours at night). Not sure if I could handle that! Smooch seems to need her morning nap even more than her afternoon one. And I've tried holding her off, to see if its time to transition to one afternoon nap, but she doesn't sleep any longer in the afternoon if she misses her morning nap (still 1.5-2 hours), and is just a cranky mess. So for right now, I figure its not worth it. My mom reminded me the other day that I was a child who needed more sleep than most, so part of this is probably genetics too... (she also reminded me that Smooch has been getting more sleep than her peers from the get-go, so its not actually that unusual for her to still be getting more...) 

I cherish those 2 naps though, because I'm expecting again, and this first trimester has been harder than it was with Smooch, and I'm exhausted (maybe its because I'm chasing a wild 16-month old! LOL!) so I often nap when she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment